Whether you’re making a marketing video for your new product or creating your latest commercial, there’s one question you always want answered: how can you grab your viewer’s attention quickly and effectively?
Figuring out how to claim your audience’s attention isn’t getting any easier—Microsoft’s research indicates that the average attention span has dropped from 12 seconds to 8 seconds. In today’s short-attention-span, quick-to-click environment, the best videos will not be seen if they fail at the opening gate.
So how can you hook people in the beginning of a marketing video?
Let's start with the basics
Here at StagePost we love a good hook! But you might be asking, what is a hook? Your hook is the attention-grabber that gets your audience invested in your video. Finding it can seem like grasping for straws, but we’ve broken it down into four key elements. To find the best hook for your marketing video, you need to explore the most compelling aspects of your brand by asking these questions.
- Who or what are you?
- What sets you apart from your competition?
- Why should viewers listen to you?
- How can you help your audience?
When your video nails these questions, you can hook customers, reel in leads, and increase conversions.
Keep a Personal Perspective
74% of consumers say there is a connection between watching a video and their buying decisions. Remember, people buy into solutions, not companies! If your message is solely focused on your brand, your audience won’t stick around long enough to find out what you’re offering. More than anything, they want to hear how you can help them (remember question #4?).
This is especially true if you’re creating a B2B marketing video! Focus on capturing the attention of a single-decision maker in that organization. It’s crucial to engage with your viewer’s struggles, interests, and sense of humor. When you speak directly to that person, you’re well on your way to a successful conversion!
StagePost’s Favorite Opening Hooks:
Now, let’s get down to the juicy details! Take a look at some of our favorite ways to create the perfect hook for your marketing video:
- The Opportunity – Now is the time to take advantage of the housing market
- The Benefit – You can have peace of mind with your investments
- The Promise – You will never find a better solution to thriving in a down market
- Fear of Loss – You could be losing money every day on your home
- The Validation – You have been worried about the increasing cost of living
- The Comparison: Their product vs. our better product
- Personal Success Story – I made a million in my spare time, so can you
- The Epiphany – A new way to look at life after fifty
- Bold Example – 3000 people have tried to diet and failed
- Contrast – People have always thought that working hard would pay off, but now there is a new way to think about prospering in today’s world
Nail Those Sales with High-Yield Hooks
No matter what your brand does, the most important thing to remember about your hook is this: the best video marketing hook for your business is the one that works. If you’re asking the right questions, you can create a hook that aligns with your brand identity AND your ideal audience.
Ready to craft your heavy-hitting hook? Stagepost has you covered! Contact us to get started on your next marketing video.