It’s no secret that consumers respond well to video marketing. In fact, 84% of customers say they’ve been convinced to buy a product or service by watching a brand’s video. Mind-blowing, right? To effectively market your brand’s products, you need to create an excellent product video that tells your brand’s story well.
So how can you create a product video that your customers will love? Let’s start with the basics!
Creating a Product Video—Three Ways to Capture Your Audience
Cater to Your Target Audience
To successfully create product videos, you have to cater to your target audience with a compelling call to action. Think about how your product will change your ideal customer’s life. Why should they buy your product? Will it increase their overall happiness? Once you have your answers, be sure to incorporate it succinctly into your hook.
Highlighting how your product will solve your potential customers’ problems and enrich their lives helps you select features to highlight during the video and echo your CTA!
Practice Show and Tell
It might be tempting to create a high-concept product video, but if your viewers don’t know what you’re selling at the end of your video, it’s unlikely they will become your customers. Pretend you’re back in elementary school doing show and tell—take an opportunity to show off your product and inform your customers about it in a simple, straightforward way.
There are a few ways to achieve this, but feel free to think outside the box:
- Create a demo – This is a great way to show off your product in action while someone is using it.
- Design a tutorial – This is an instructive, step-by-step approach that is often geared towards customers who have already purchased your product and need more information on using it, but it can also function purely as a marketing tool.
- Craft an explainer – This type of product video demonstrates the benefits of your product while also telling your brand story.
- Source testimonials and reviews – This utilizes real, positive customer feedback to show the value of your product.
While your customers are likely interested in the technical specifications of your products, they need a story to stay engaged with your video. To put it simply—viewers want to meet the people behind the product and the people who use it.
Follow Technical Recommendations
When you’re creating any type of marketing video, following technical guidelines is crucial. Generally speaking, the shorter the video is, the better, but some marketing strategies require more long-form content. We usually recommend shooting your product video in a way that allows you to break the content up into bite-sized pieces.
Here are our best practices for product videos per social platform:
- Instagram – 30 to 60 seconds is recommended for videos. If you want to share your video to your Instagram stories, keep in mind that the maximum length is 15 seconds. For reels, you should stay in a range of 15 to 60 seconds.
- Facebook – Facebook prefers videos to be 30 to 60 seconds long as well.
- TikTok – Your best bet with this platform is to stick with a range of 7 to 15 seconds. We recommend trying TikTok’s 7-second challenge for practice!
- Twitter – Aim for videos around 30-45 seconds to maximize engagement.
- YouTube – YouTube is considered the gold standard of video content, but best practices depend on your goal. If you’re looking to monetize with YouTube ads, the minimum length is 10 minutes. For shorter videos, stay around the 2-minute mark.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn recently reported that videos that are 30 seconds or under provide a 200% increase in completion rates. This means that more viewers completed videos instead of clicking away!
- Pinterest – Pinterest suggests 6 to 15 seconds as their recommended range.